Job Title: Superintendent of Distribution Services
Job Summary: The Superintendent of Distribution Services is responsible for the management of field and administrative activities in support of regulatory compliance and enforcement of the Company’s cross connection control program. Areas of compliance include but are not limited to valve and hydrant inspection/maintenance, underground utility locations, meter selection/testing, implementation, and coordination of cross connection control with customers.
In addition to other responsibilities, the Superintendent of Distribution Services will focus on:
• Maintaining accurate records of work performed and uses these records to prepare and submits regulatory reports relating to mark-outs, meter testing, and cross connection control.
• Manage all aspects of the Cross Connection Control Program, risk reporting, field service related work and meter testing; includes establishing and updating procedures, maintaining safe working conditions, employee training and development, and compliance with all applicable Federal, State and local regulations. Review and verify all construction and meter service related records including invoices, job orders (work cards), as-built drawings and material requests.
• Plan, organize, schedule and distribute assignments in conjunction with the field supervisors, optimizing the efficiency of the available resources. Includes but is not limited to the periodic replacement and testing of all consumer meters (including wholesale and well field meters) in compliance with regulatory and Company standard and policy.
• Mandate safe, efficient, cost effective work practices. Recommends modification to programs and procedures to improve system reliability and reduce system liability. Develop proposals for recommended changes in staffing, equipment, materials or department relations to achieve improvements. Develops and maintains an effective employee relations plan; supervises and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel
• Assist in the development and implementation of the capital budget and operating budget programs including, but not limited to, the timely completion of monthly variance reports, identification of financial opportunities and vulnerabilities, capital project completion reports and monthly review/update of the capital budget schedule as needed.
• Establish inventory levels and minimum quantities of hydrants and meter parts and accessories in conjunction with the Inventory Control Specialist.
• Adhere to the Enterprise-wide Safety Program, including but not limited to the routine completion of safety inspection, timely follow-up of safety audit corrective actions and on-site program administrator (OSPA) responsibilities as defined in the applicable Subpart written program(s). Contribute to the overall safety awareness throughout the Enterprise. Participate and present at monthly safety meetings. Ensure compliance with OSHA, DEP, BPU and other applicable regulations.
• Respond to customer concerns/inquiries and provides testimony in legal matters.
• Oversee the input of new meters into meter inventory database by inventory control personnel and upload test results as provided by the manufacturer for all Companies and affiliates. Responsibilities include correct “building” of meter within the database to assure accurate reading and billing.
• Participate in Company Emergency Operations Plan as needed. Assist in contingency planning and coordination of emergency response.
• Maintain an up to date knowledge of all current and proposed regulations as well as new technologies pertaining to cross connection control, underground facility locations and water metering. Makes recommendations to the Director of Transmission & Distribution for changes needed to assure continual compliance with regulations.
To be considered for this position, your qualifications for the position need to include:
• A Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction management, environmental science or a related field is preferred. A combination of experience and class work will be considered.
• 5 to 10 years of progressively increasing responsible experience in the area of T&D operation/maintenance, supervision and project management; or a combination of education and project management experience in a related field.
• Intermediate level computer literacy with competent abilities in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and data base management.
• Possess or have the ability to obtain a NJ State W-3 distribution license within 5 years.
• Ability to read, understand and use distribution system maps and as-built drawings.
• A working knowledge and understanding of cross connection control and backflow principles, devices, and testing procedures.
• Excellent attendance record.
• Possession of a Class A Commercial Driver’s License (C.D.L) valid in New Jersey or ability to obtain one within 6 months of employment.
• Excellent verbal communication skills with the ability to read, write, and communicate effectively in English.
• Availability for regularly scheduled on-call rotation and on a call-in basis in response to emergencies.
• Strong supervisory, leadership, organizational and record keeping skills.
• Competent Person in Excavation, Traffic Safety Coordinator and OSHA 40-hour Hazardous Waste certifications preferred.
This job operates in an office environment located within the Headquarters location. This role routinely includes, but is not limited to: use of standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, fax machine and handheld devices. While this role may at times be largely sedentary, situations will arise that require the ability to lift 50 pounds, climb into and out of meter vaults, move around, stand and bend as necessary, and move objects.
There will be occasions where there is work around mechanical parts and in outside conditions that include inclement weather, heat, humidity and extreme cold temperatures. Noise level may be loud at times. Additionally, must be able to ascend/descend ladders to observe operations. PPE is provided and is mandated. Travel is required between office locations and subsidiaries.
You can submit your resume and salary requirements by: e-mail to HRG@middlesexwater.com by fax to 732-638-7667 or by mail to HR Generalist, Middlesex Water Company, 1500 Ronson Road, Iselin, NJ 08830.
No Phone Calls Please.
Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States.
Middlesex Water Company and its' subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates must be able to pass a Drug Screen, Pre employment physical and background check and have a valid driver’s license.